Antonio Giovinazzi may be on Formula 1's sidelines for now, but the Italian driver retains a positive outlook on his future.
The Ferrari junior, who ran three races with Sauber last season following Pascal Wehrlein's injury, was in contention for a seat at the Swiss outfit.
The 24-year-old ultimately missed out on the drive however following the nomination of Charles Leclerc and Sauber's decision to retain Marcus Ericsson.
"Obviously I was close to Alfa Romeo and it was the best opportunity, but clearly Sauber made a different choice," the Italian told Radio Sportiva.
"However, I will not give up. Even last year I began as a third driver and then I made my debut, so I will try to work to the maximum and support Ferrari and we'll see what happens," Giovinazzi added.
In addition to his two races with Sauber, Giovinazzi enjoyed several Friday practice outings with Haas over the course of a season in which he says he learned a lot.
"I had my unexpected debut with Sauber, but I also did a lot of work on the simulator in Maranello, helping the (Ferrari) drivers, and I also tested the Sauber, Ferrari and Haas.
"Now I'm a different driver with a lot more experience," he said.
"Last season was exceptional for Ferrari, we reduced the gap and we are working hard to do even better next year."
Giovinazzi celebrated his 24th birthday this week and only has one wish for the future.
"I would be lying if I said I didn't want to be in formula one, maybe winning a championship title. It will be difficult but I will give it everything."